It’s almost halfway through the year, and if you’re still not investing and following through with your skincare routine, you’re missing out on a lot. The beauty industry has constantly been working to develop solutions and blends of ingredients that will help users have better skin within a certain amount of time. However, they have also developed specific products for specific skin types.
This increases efficiency and reduces the time required to enhance your skin and start showing results. The people who suffer from the constant oil excess from their skin receive the worst end of the stick. They constantly have a threat of a breakout, and their makeup washes away too fast. But we have a solution for this, too, exfoliators. But which one is the Best Exfoliator For Oily Skin for you? Let’s figure it out.
Best Exfoliator For Oily Skin | 11 Top Face Cleansers for Oily Skin
The very first step of skincare is cleansing and exfoliation. Exfoliation is a crucial step in any skincare routine, especially for those with oily skin. It helps to get rid of dead skin cells and unclog pores, leaving your skin looking fresh, radiant, and matte, how you want it. With so many options available for users in the market, it can be daunting to know where to start. There are exfoliators for the bikini area, body, and face. Here are 11 of the best exfoliators for oily skin available on any online merchant website or even in drugstores close to you. While it may sound fancy to use exfoliators, there are some common exfoliating mistakes no one talks about. Thus, you must go through the ingredients before you choose any exfoliator.
Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant
Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant is a cult favorite among skincare enthusiasts. The hype for this product is also justified, making it the Best Exfoliator For Oily Skin. This product blend is gentle yet effective. It poses as an impactful exfoliant containing 2% salicylic acid, which helps unclog pores, reduce inflammation, and improve the overall texture and beauty of the skin. One of the significant criteria that sets this exfoliant apart is the fact that it’s a lightweight, liquid formula.
Unlike many other exfoliants available in the market, it doesn’t contain any abrasive physical exfoliants like beads or grains, which may damage your skin. Instead, the salicylic acid gently dissolves dead skin cells and other impurities on the skin’s surface. Another great thing about Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant is that it is suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin. It is fragrance-free and non-irritating, making it an excellent option for those who struggle with redness or irritation from other exfoliants.
- Exfoliant contains salicylic acid
- It helps to unclog pores and reduce inflammation
- Fragrance-free and non-irritating
- A good choice for sensitive skin.
- GENTLE NON-ABRASIVE LEAVE-ON EXFOLIANT: With 2% BHA (Beta hydroxy acid), to unclog & diminish enlarged pores, exfoliate dead skin cells, smooth wrinkles, and brighten and even out skin tone. Combats redness, wrinkles, aging, enlarged pores, and blackheads.
- Dramatically improves skin's texture for radiant youthful even-toned skin. Beta hydroxy acid (BHA, also known as salicylic acid) mimics the natural exfoliation process of younger skin by helping it shed extra layers while unclogging and clearing pores.
- HYDRATE, BRIGHTEN & SMOOTH FINE LINES: Our unique, non-abrasive, leave-on exfoliant is gentle enough for daily use on all skin types. Exfoliates dead skin cells while clearing pores for a more even tone, plus it visibly reduces fine lines & wrinkles.
- Paula's Choice facial exfoliants are gentler on delicate skin of the face & neck than an abrasive face scrub, which can cause micro-tears. A BHA leave-on exfoliator delivers hydration & can exfoliate directly inside the pore & improve how the pore works.
- Paula's Choice Skincare makes products that work. No fragrance, no parabens, no fluff. Just effective, science-backed formulas that target any concern from wrinkles to breakouts.
- It can be a bit drying
- May cause acne
Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash
Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash is one of the most popular and affordable skincare products thoughtfully designed to help prevent and treat acne. This cleanser is critical because it contains high salicylic acid content, a gentle exfoliant that helps unclog pores and reduce inflammation. It is also oil-free, leaving a non-greasy finish, making it an excellent choice for those with oily or acne-prone skin. One of the main benefits of using Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash is that it helps remove any excess oil and impurities from the skin without over-drying it and ripping it off any moisture content.
This can be specifically important for those with acne-prone skin, as excess oil can be the reason to cause breakouts. Another key factor about this cleanser is that it is super easy to use. While Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash can be effective for most people, it’s important to note that everyone’s skin is different and reacts differently. If you have sensitive skin or are allergic to salicylic acid, this product may not be suited for you. Following up with a moisturizer after using this cleanser is also essential, as salicylic acid can dry slightly.
- It is an affordable exfoliator.
- Contains salicylic acid to help fight acne and unclog pores
- It also has a refreshing scent and leaves skin feeling clean and refreshed.
- Value pack containing three 9.1-fluid ounce pump bottles of Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Face Wash with salicylic acid acne medication to help fight acne and prevent breakouts while cleansing skin
- The #1 dermatologist recommended acne-fighting face cleanser, its unique formula gently cleanses deep down into pores with conditioners while the salicylic acid acne medicine helps prevent future breakouts in one simple step
- Clinically proven MicroClear technology helps boost delivery of salicylic acid, an acne medicine to help clear up acne, pimples and blackheads
- The residue- and oil-free formula is non-comedogenic so it won't clog pores. This daily acne face wash also rinses clean without over drying or irritating the skin to help unclog pores and treat acne even before it emerges
- Use this acne fighting face wash from a dermatologist recommended brand as part of a daily skincare routine for clearer-looking skin. Consider this product if you've liked cleansers from Proactiv, Clearasil, Biore, Mountain Falls & Cetaphil
- It may be too harsh for those with sensitive skin
- Can be drying if used too often.
St. Ives Fresh Skin Face Scrub
St. Ives Fresh Skin Scrub is another popular exfoliating scrub designed to gently remove all the dead skin cells and other impurities from the skin. This scrub is an organic choice because it contains natural exfoliants like apricot extract, which helps to improve the uneven texture and tone out the appearance of your skin. It is also known to have salicylic acid, which helps to unclog any clogged pores and reduce inflammation or redness.
St. Ives Fresh Skin Scrub is gentle enough on your skin that you can freely use it several times a week, and the gentle exfoliation will still help to hydrate your skin and leave it feeling soft, smooth, and refreshed. However, some people have reported finding it a bit harsh, so using it cautiously and following up with a moisturizer is essential.
- It’s an affordable scrub.
- Contains natural exfoliants like apricot kernel oil and walnut shell powder.
- Includes salicylic acid to help fight acne.
- It also has a pleasant scent.
- The walnut shell powder can be abrasive.
- It may not be suitable for susceptible skin.
Mario Badescu Botanical Exfoliating Scrub
Maro Badescu Botanical Exfoliating Scrub is a highly gentle exfoliant that is made to help remove dead skin cells and other damaging impurities from the skin. This scrub contains natural exfoliants like ground to fine powder Ecuadorian ivory palm seeds, which thoroughly help improve the skin’s texture and appearance.
It also has an added blend of botanical extracts, including ginger, ginkgo, and green tea, which are, of course, organic alongside known to soothe and hydrate the skin. Mario Badescu Botanical Exfoliating Scrub is a good choice because it’s suitable for all skin types and can be used 2-3 times a week to help leave skin feeling soft, smooth, and refreshed without causing much damage.
- Contains natural exfoliants like coconut and jojoba oil.
- Addition of aloe vera and chamomile to soothe and hydrate the skin
- It also has a pleasant scent and leaves skin feeling soft and smooth.
- NATURAL GLOW BOOST: Mario Badescu Botanical Exfoliating Scrub features finely ground seeds of the Ecuadorian Ivory Palm, working in harmony with Aloe Vera, Coconut, Ginger, and Ginkgo
- HYDRATION: Immerse your skin in a hydrating experience with the power of Aloe Vera and Coconut; Mario Badescu's gel-based face exfoliator scrub not only refines uneven skin tone but also moisturizes
- FOR ALL SKIN TYPES: Mario Badescu Botanical Face Exfoliant Scrub is designed to suit every skin type, providing a gentle and effective exfoliation for all
- #MBSKINTIP: After exfoliating, shield your renewed skin from sun damage with Mario Badescu's Oil-free Moisturizer SPF 30 every morning; A perfect combination for a flawless and protected complexion
- CLEAN BEAUTY COMMITMENT: This Botanical Facial Exfoliating Scrub is free from parabens, vegan, cruelty-free, and proudly made in the USA; Enjoy the beauty of radiant skin without compromise
- It may not be suitable for those with acne-prone skin.
- Doesn’t contain any acne-fighting ingredients.
- It may rip off moisture, causing damage to the skin if overused.
Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant
Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant is one of our list’s most unique exfoliant choices since that comes in the texture of a powder. When mixed with a bit of water, it creates a super gentle, rice-based exfoliating paste that helps scrub off any dead skin cells or other impurities from the skin. This exfoliant is highly gentle and can be used daily, and is suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin making it the Best Exfoliator For Oily Skin.
It contains a specific blend of botanical extracts, including organically extracted green tea, ginkgo, and colloidal oatmeal, which help to soothe, nourish and hydrate the skin. Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant can be one of your top choices if you want to leave the skin feeling smooth, bright, and refreshed without causing irritation or dryness.
- Comes in powder form and activates with water
- Is a gentle, foaming scrub
- Contains rice enzymes to exfoliate
- Brightens the skin, as well as salicylic acid, to unclog pores.
- Achieve brighter, smoother skin every day with this iconic exfoliating powder that gently removes dulling surface debris and polishes skin to perfection.
- Formulated with Papaya Enzyme, Salicylic Acid, and other powerful ingredients, this dermatologist-recommended face scrub provides a thorough exfoliation without irritating your skin.
- Suitable for daily use, simply dispense into very wet hands and create a creamy paste by rubbing your hands together before massaging onto your face and rinsing thoroughly.
- Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant balances uneven skin tones and calms your skin, leaving you with a healthy, radiant glow. The cleanser is lightweight and mild to use every day.
- Let this luxurious exfoliating powder pamper your skin and add a refreshing boost to your daily skincare routine – perfect for use before makeup application.
- It is a bit pricey, comparatively
- May not be suitable for susceptible skin.
First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Polish
First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Polish is another addition to our list of gentle exfoliating scrubs designed to help improve the texture and appearance of the skin. This scrub contains most elements that pose as natural exfoliants, like shea nut shell powder and willow bark extract, which help to get rid of dead skin cells and other impurities from the skin while deeply nourishing it.
It also contains a fantastic blend of botanical and organic extracts, including licorice root extract and white tea extract, which help to soothe, hydrate and brighten the skin. First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Polish can be used several times a week and can help to leave skin feeling soft, smooth, and radiant. It is also devoid of harsh chemicals and synthetic fragrances, making it an excellent choice for users with sensitive skin. Hence we added this to your beauty guide.
- It is a gentle exfoliator.
- Contains natural exfoliants like shea nut shell powder and willow bark extract.
- Also, brightening ingredients like lemon peel oil and licorice root extract
- Has a pleasant scent and leaves skin feeling soft and smooth.
- Renewal: A gentle daily exfoliating and brightening facial scrub that cleanses the skin leaving it clear, soft and renewed.
- Natural Exfoliants: Facial Radiance Polish uses natural, biodegradable exfoliants including Shea Nut Shell Powder and Willow Bark Extract to gently buff, purify and polish skin to reveal a smoother, brighter, more even-looking complexion.
- Safe: Suitable for sensitive skin.
- Absolutely No: Alcohol, Artificial Colorants, Artificial Fragrance, Lanolin, Mineral Oil, Parabens, Petrolatum, Phthalates, Propylene Glycol, Sulfates, Talc, Formaldehydes, Oxybenzone, Coal Tar, Triclocarbon, Ethano, Ethyl Alcoholl
- Allergy-Tested, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, Soy-Free, Suitable for Sensitive Skin, Vegan, Nano-Free
- It may not be suitable for those with acne-prone skin
- As it doesn’t contain any acne-fighting ingredients
- Doesn’t contribute much towards nourishment.
Ole Henriksen Transforming Walnut Scrub
Ole Henriksen Transforming Walnut Scrub is one of the most potent exfoliating scrubs, designed to help improve the texture and appearance of the skin. This scrub contains an exotic blend of natural walnut powder, which helps to remove dead skin cells and other impurities from the skin, making it more prone to produce collagen and rejuvenate often.
It also contains an iconic blend of botanical extracts, including chamomile and aloe vera, which help to soothe and hydrate the skin since they hold a lot of nourishing properties. Ole Henriksen Transforming Walnut Scrub can be used around 2-3 times a week and can help to leave skin feeling smooth, polished, brightened, and refreshed. However, its decisive exfoliating action may not suit those with sensitive skin or everyday usage.
- Contains natural exfoliants like walnut powder and almond flour
- An added blend of AHAs and BHAs to unclog pores and brighten the skin
- It exudes a pleasant scent and leaves skin feeling smooth and refreshed.
- It may be too harsh for those with susceptible skin
- High concentrations of walnut powder can be abrasive for some.
Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment
Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment is also a popular exfoliant on most online merchants designed to help improve the texture and appearance of the skin. This exfoliant contains a well-thought-out blend of natural exfoliants, including lactic acid and fruit enzymes, which help to gently remove dead skin cells and other impurities from the skin while ensuring high nourishment and hydration.
It also contains a blend of botanical extracts, including aloe vera and honey, which help to soothe the skin. Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment can be used almost 1-2 times a week and can help the skin feel soft, smooth, and radiant. However, other suitable daily exfoliation choices may exist due to its decisive exfoliating action.
- Contains natural exfoliants like papaya, pumpkin, and pineapple enzymes.
- High amounts of lactic acid and salicylic acid to unclog pores
- Brightens the skin
- INTENSIVE EXFOLIATOR: Inspired by the signature facial at Kate’s Hollywood clinic, this holy grail treatment delivers three types of exfoliation – physical, chemical and enzymatic – to reveal glowing skin in 2 minutes
- CLINICALLY PROVEN: After just 1 use, 94% saw highly significant improvement in skin texture, and 100% saw highly significant improvement in the appearance of crow’s feet, fine lines and wrinkles
- ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Clinically formulated with AHA Lactic Acid & BHA Salicylic Acid; Fruit Enzymes; Aloe Vera, Honey & Vitamin E and Silica; contains no Mineral Oil, Parabens, Phthalates, SLES or SLS
- REVITALIZING SKIN CARE: Add the exfoliating scrub to your morning or nighttime routine once or twice a week. Apply to a clean, wet face, massage for 30 seconds, and leave on for up to 2 minutes
- FROM CLINIC TO BEAUTY CABINET: Perfected in our Hollywood clinic for visible results at home, Kate Somerville skin care products are expertly formulated to defy the impossible
- Slightly on the expensive exfoliators on this list
- It may be too harsh for the skin for constant use.
Bioré Charcoal Pore Minimizer
Bioré Charcoal Pore Minimizer is a different product designed to help minimize the appearance of open pores while evening out any harsh skin bumps or textures ruining the flat appearance. This product contains natural charcoal, which helps to absorb any excess oil and impurities from the skin. Thus, we call it the Best Exfoliator For Oily Skin.
It also has infused micro-crystals, which help gently but thoroughly exfoliate the skin and remove residual dead skin cells. Bioré Charcoal Pore Minimizer can be used from 2 to 3 times a week and can help to leave skin looking smoother and more even-toned. However, it may not be suitable for those with susceptible skin or users with skin conditions, as it can be pretty powerful.
- Counts as an affordable exfoliator
- Contains charcoal to draw out impurities and unclog pores
- Additional natural exfoliants like jojoba beads
- Has a refreshing scent.
- It may be too harsh for those with susceptible skin or skin conditions
- The jojoba beads can be a bit abrasive for some.
- It may also cause allergies if used regularly
L’Oreal Paris Pure-Sugar Scrub
L’Oreal Paris Pure-Sugar Scrub is a gentle and well-known exfoliating scrub designed to help improve the texture and appearance of the skin. This scrub contains a specific concentration of natural sugar crystals, which create a barrier while removing dead skin cells and other impurities from the skin, preventing them from clogging pores.
It also contains a powerful blend of botanical oils, including grapeseed and monoi oil, which help nourish and hydrate the skin. L’Oreal Paris Pure-Sugar Scrub can be used as an everyday face wash a few times a week and will still help to leave skin feeling soft, smooth, and radiant. It is free from harsh chemicals and synthetic fragrances, making it an excellent choice for sensitive skin since there are few side effects.
- Counts as an affordable scrub
- Contains natural exfoliants like sugar and grapeseed oil
- Ingredients like kiwi and peppermint extract invigorate the skin
- Pure Sugar Scrub made with 3 pure sugars and real kiwi seeds is an exfoliating face and lip scrub to purify and unclog pores, melting into skin for deep yet gentle exfoliation
- Scrubbing particles are made with brown, blonde and white sugars, rich in minerals that melt into skin for gentle, yet effective exfoliation
- Immediately this sugar face scrub leaves skin feeling purified and clean by effectively removing dirt oil and impurities and gently polishing away dull skin
- In 1 week of using face scrub skin feels soft smooth and comforted; pores look tighter and unclogged and less visible; skin looks less shiny and rebalanced
- Suitable for all skin types and can also be used to smooth and refine lips; for best results use 3 times per week
- May not be suitable for those with acne-prone skin.
Murad AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser
Murad AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser is another exfoliating cleanser that made it to our guide this year because it is designed to help improve the texture and appearance of the skin. When we talk of ingredients, a blend of natural exfoliants, including salicylic acid and lactic acid, helps to gently remove dead skin cells and other impurities from the skin without causing much harm, making it the Best Exfoliator For Oily Skin.
It also contains a nourishing blend of botanical extracts, including licorice extract and jojoba seed oil, which help to soothe and hydrate the skin. Murad AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser can be used 3-4 times a week and help leave skin feeling smooth, polished, and refreshed. However, it’s necessary to understand your skin’s needs and use them accordingly.
- Contains a blend of AHAs and BHAs to unclog pores
- It has elements to brighten the skin
- Jojoba beads to exfoliate physically.
- TRIPLE ACTION CLEANSER: This AHA/BHA exfoliating cleanser delivers the benefits of a hydrating cleanse plus physical and chemical exfoliation in one effective skincare treatment.
- SMOOTHS & POLISHES: Gently removing dull and dry skin, the skin smoothing polish reveals a more radiant and youthful complexion, and prepares skin for optimal results from serums & treatments.
- EXFOLIATING TREATMENT: Giving facial skin a fresher appearance, the exfoliating facial cleanser is suitable for Normal, Oily, Dry, and Combination skin and can be used 2-3 times a week.
- ESSENTIAL INGREDIENTS: Salicylic, Lactic & Glycolic Acids encourage cell turnover, biodegradable Jojoba Beads exfoliate and Sodium PCA attracts moisture. Formulated without Phthalates or Gluten.
- HOW TO USE: Massage a small amount of the hydrating facial cleanser & exfoliator over your dampened face and neck. Rinse the cleansing face wash with warm water and pat dry.
- It could be too harsh for those with susceptible skin.
- Slightly more expensive than other exfoliators on this list.
Final Words | Best Exfoliator For Oily Skin
In conclusion, many great exfoliators for oily skin are available from most online merchants. However, when we decide on an exfoliator, we must consider your skin type and any specific concerns you may have, such as acne, sensitivity, or allergies. You can achieve smoother, brighter, and more radiant-looking skin with the right exfoliator.
However, as your beauty guides, we would always recommend doing a small swatch test anywhere around your face, which isn’t too visible to understand if it is for you. In case of no change, you can try to add new points to your skin and find a perfect blend according to your skin needs. We need to make an important mental note that every product works differently on every skin, so you must not give up on skincare immediately. Instead, always look for more appropriate and suited products you can hunt for. Remember, skincare is nothing without faith in yourself and consistency.
I’m Sarah Abraham, the founder and co-author of Blushastic.com and a professional makeup artist. Beauty is more than just skin deep, and that’s why I’m passionate about sharing my knowledge and experience to help people feel confident and beautiful on the inside and out.
Whether it’s skincare, haircare, or fashion, my goal is to empower women to feel their best. With my expertise in the beauty industry, I strive to provide practical advice and tips that are accessible to everyone, regardless of their skill level or budget.