Sticking to your natural hair color and not trying out different hair colors isn’t the thing, especially in this generation. Even if you have convinced yourself to get your hair colored, you may be in a situation where your hair isn’t agreeing anymore. And to be honest, it is pretty concerning. Because the number of chemicals used in hair dyes or hair colors can, to a certain extent, damage your hair. And damaged hair means either brittle, broken hair or extremely dry and frizzy. Brittle hair leads nowhere but to hair thinning.
Even when you manage to color your hair, the chemicals and use of heat tools cause thinning of hair. In that situation, we would find ourselves searching for the best hair color for thinning hair that causes no damage to the already damaged hair. Thus, we bring you some of the best hair colors for thin hair.
Best Hair Color For Thinning Hair
Thinning hair can be a significant concern, especially if you still want to get your hair colored. To avoid thinning hair as much as you can while still coloring them, it is best if you use semi-permanent hair colors. They let you enjoy your hair without causing long-lasting damage to them, as they are free from ammonia and peroxides.
Semi-Permanent Hair Colors
The main issue of coloring your hair might be hair thinning or hair loss. But if you still want to color your hair while suffering from hair loss, then the best option is to opt for semi-permanent hair colors. The reason is apparent: these colors last for a few weeks and do not contain ammonia or parabens, which can be the main reason for hair damage.
Clairol Natural Instincts Semi-Permanent Hair Dye
Clairol is the No.1 semi-permanent hair color brand, based on the products sold. This has to be enough for us to be convinced to use it because the more products sold, the more customers have used them, and the better insight you get from the reviews. It is created with the majority of vegan ingredients that help increase the hair’s shine while giving it a good color of your choice, making it the best color for thinning hair.
It is formulated with coconut oil, considered a savior for thinning hair. It helps your hair hold the protein, so it doesn’t run out of protein. This protein lock helps slow down the process of hair thinning and hence prevents hair breakage. The creamy formula also contains aloe vera, which is said to improve the strength of your hair by making it thick and healthy. It is enriched with vitamins like Vitamins A, C, and E, all of which help promote healthy hair and add luminous shine.
- Formulated with globally famous hair-beneficial ingredients like coconut oil and aloe vera, the cream strives to nourish your hair.
- It makes sure to leave your hair feeling shiny.
- As per the brand, it lasts up to 28 washes.
- Contains natural ingredients.
- Your hair also feels soft.
- Has a good and fresh smell.
- Easy to use.
- It contains no ammonia.
- No added parabens.
- Some users said the hair color did not last long.
- A specific section of people also claimed that the new formula was quite disappointing and did not give them the color they wanted.
Arctic Fox Semi-Permanent Hair Color
Formulated with all-natural ingredients, Arctic Fox claims to be very conditioning and hydrating to your hair. It not only colors your hair but leaves it very nourished because of the no alcohol, PPD, or harmful chemicals policy. It has a range of funky colors that will make you can try.
The creamy texture involves citric acid, the famous antioxidant that helps strengthen hair follicles. Strong hair follicles mean less breakage and no more thinning of hair. Citric acid helps improve the scalp area by reducing dandruff and increasing blood flow. It is also made of hydrolyzed soy protein, an excellent hair-conditioning agent that helps make your hair appear better.
- The citric acid present helps in improving the health of your hair and scalp.
- Does not damage the hair.
- The brand mentions that 15% of the profits earned are donated to animal charities.
- 100% vegan.
- The scent is delightful.
- It has got over 80k+ reviews on Amazon.
- Free from PPD, ammonia, and parabens.
- Sulfate and Silicone-free.
- Some users said the Poseidon Blue color and the Purple caused quite a bit of staining, even after frequent washes.
- It has a few shades available compared to other brands.
Pravana ChromaSilk Vivids Semi-Permanent Hair Color
Another best hair color for thinning hair is Pravana ChromaSilk hair colors are all about trying those vivid shades, and they are semi-permanent; you can have them off within a few days. Moreover, these shades are inter-mixable with any other Vivids shade, giving you a wide range of vibrant colors. You can have all these shades without compromising the health of your hair.
The Vivids collection is a non-oxidative hair color, meaning you do not have to use any oxidizing agent, for example, a developer, before you use the color. It contains hydrolyzed silk and keratin, making the color more profound into your hair shaft. While doing this, these ingredients also make sure your hair is kept safe, soft, and healthy. So, in the end, when you are done with the vivid styling and coloring, you are left happy with the color and the amount of softness and shine your hair has.
- It is formulated with a mixture of silk and keratin that nourish your hair.
- They help in making your hair look softer and healthier.
- There are various shades available.
- These shades are inter-mixable, and hence you can create your custom colors.
- Speedy and easy application.
- Only requires a little effort.
- Your hair is left feeling soft and shiny.
- Your hair now has an intense hair color.
- The blue color was a turn-off as it faded off within a single wash.
- As per some users, the new formula stained everything.
Herb Speedy Color Cream
Herb Speedy Color Cream is a Korean brand that is a safe option for people who wouldn’t want a lot of chemicals on their hair, either generally or maybe because of hair thinning. It is a gentle hair color cream suitable for people with sensitive skin. However, if you have susceptible skin, always do a patch test. This hair color cream is designed to reduce the allergy reactions that some people may suffer from.
The 5 natural herbal ingredients in this hair color cream are Sophora Angustifolia, Paeonia Albiflora, Panax Ginseng, Green tea leaf, and Licorice root extracts. These ingredients help make your hair and scalp feel refreshed while maintaining cleanliness. Green tea leaves help protect your hair from hair breakage or hair thinning as it induces hair loss. Licorice root extracts are known to have properties that relieve irritation and cause soothing effects. It also works as a moisturizer by keeping your hair free from dryness.
- The hair color gel is infused with many natural herbal extracts that help your hair improve with natural treatment.
- The 5 herbal extracts present help in maintaining your hair as well as your scalp.
- It also contains a Sunscreen agent that protects your hair from damage.
- Does not cause an itchy scalp.
- Does not cause any allergies.
- It is an excellent alternative to popular brands that cause allergies or side effects.
- Free from ammonia and PPD.
- The smell can be very unpleasant.
- Since this is unlike other traditional hair dyes, the process is a little different and requires some extra steps.
Permanent Hair Colors
Some options for permanent hair colors have excellent formulas that will strengthen and nourish your thinning hair. Some of the best ones are mentioned below.
Garnier Hair Color – Olia
Garnier has embarked on its journey as a hair color brand by winning many hearts. It has a worldwide fanbase that trusts the brand with its various shades. Garnier’s Olia is a permanent hair color that is free from ammonia and hence works on making your hair look healthy. Your hair fibers are thickened and hydrated with the nourishing formula of Garneir’s Olia.
It is formulated with 60% oil, natural Sunflower, and Camellia oil. Sunflower oil has some good hair benefits; it helps in stimulating hair growth, so if you have been suffering from thinning hair, this can be your plus point. Sunflower oil is also an emollient and makes your hair feel soft and smooth with an addition of a beautiful shine. Just like that, Camellia oil also serves some practical hair benefits. It helps retain the moisture in your hair, which does not make your hair feel very dry. It also protects your hair from environmental damage and scalp irritators like dandruff.
- The formula contains some beneficial flower oils like sunflower oil and camellia oil that have great hair benefits.
- As per the brand, around 89% of women experienced no hair damage.
- Garnier’s Olia has about 34 shades available.
- Non-drip creamy texture.
- Very affordable.
- Free from ammonia.
- Paraben and silicone-free.
- Vegan formula.
- Users claim that it can get too oily sometimes, so much so that the oily texture stays behind on your hair even after rinsing them.
- For some users, it made their hair turn greasy and left patches.
Schwarzkopf Keratin Color
Here’s another best hair color for thinning hair: a permanent hair color that can be a good option for you if your face hair thinning. You may ask why a permanent hair color when you already suffer from hair loss. Well, the answer is simple, it contains a Keratin formula. The pre-color serum makes your hair healthy and strong while they undergo the process of coloring. The formula also helps strengthen the hair structure, so there is no more hair loss.
The keratin color uses the K-Bond-Plex technology to repair your hair, especially when they are treated with chemicals during the coloring process. As per the brand, this technology prevents about 65% less hair breakage. This keratin-based formula contains hydrolyzed collagen, the smaller versions of collagen that helps improve your hair’s health. It is also said to improve the health of your scalp, and if some claims are to be believed, it also helps in hair growth. The presence of hydrolyzed keratin works on reducing the frizz and also the breakage of your hair. It also improves the moisturizing environment of your hair strands, making them smooth.
- Made with a keratin-based technology.
- The pre-color serum works on conditioning your hair with the proper nourishments.
- It leaves your hair feeling healthy and nourished.
- No undertones.
- Offers various impressive shades.
- Has a sweet smell.
- Causes no hair breakage.
- Provides good gray coverage.
- Comes at a very affordable price.
- The keratin formulation did not do much for some people, as they faced dry hair tips.
- Some users experienced brassy hair within a few days of its application.
- Contains ammonia.
L’Oreal Paris Age Perfect by Excellence
Few brands in almost every industry have garnered immense customer support and trust. It is not just because of the variety of products they offer, but even the number of years they have been developing them. L’Oreal Paris is a brand that stands firm in hair colors or other fields. L’Oreal Paris Age Perfect by Excellence is specifically for those who have gray hair and also suffer from hair thinning. It is for the mature hair that helps it get colored,, making them look fuller and thicker.
The Age Perfect is formulated with Pro-Keratine Complex, providing your hair with desperately needed replenishment. This Keratin complex helps restructure your hair and make it smoother, shinier, and softer. It is found in hair colors because they help you regain your strong and healthy hair by replenishing and nourishing them while they undergo some severe coloring process.
- It consists of a Pro-Keratine Complex that provides your hair with the right amount of nourishment.
- Available in around 20 shades.
- Does not have a strong odor.
- The color does not go brassy.
- Keratin helps in repairing hair cuticles.
- The color lasts long.
- Very affordable.
- Does not drip or bleed.
- Some users complained that you had to buy shades 2 or 3 times lighter as they did not give the right color.
- Contains ammonia.
Revlon Colorsilk Hair Color
Revlon is another famous hair color brand offering different styles and colors. It is among the affordable hair colors that you can get at your drug stores or supermarkets. Being free from ammonia, this hair color does not damage your hair. It provides a 3D color gel technology, a mixture of different pigments and polymers that deliver natural-looking and multi-tonal color throughout your hair.
It is infused with keratin and silk amino acids that help your hair get better or at least not get damaged while it is colored. These silk amino acids are water-soluble glycoproteins that are majorly used in hair care products because they have excellent moisture-preserving qualities. So when you apply this, you know your hair is protected from dryness and dehydration.
- The formula comprises keratin and silk amino acids that serve some great hair benefits.
- The conditioner, ‘silk-protein after color,’ has excellent conditioning properties that protect hair from damage.
- Readily available.
- More than 40 shades are available.
- Hair looks smooth, soft, and shiny.
- The quantity is impressive.
- Comes at a very affordable price.
- Free from ammonia.
- As per some users, the platinum color did not show up, leaving some patches that turned out to be yellow.
- It may be a runny formula.
Herbatint Permanent Hair Color Gel
Suffering from thinning hair makes us rethink our decision, especially when dealing with chemicals. Opting for natural ones can be a ‘natural’ choice. Herbatint’s Permanent Hair Color Gel is all about infusing herbal ingredients that protect your hair with herbal benefits. This ammonia-free hair color gel is designed to nourish your hair while protecting your scalp and hair so that the results are long-lasting.
The formula is infused with 8 organic herbal extracts that give your hair the proper treatment while making it ready to preserve the color so that it stays intense. Some herbal extracts include aloe vera, meadowfoam, witch hazel, walnut, and others. The walnut and Rhubarb in the hair color gel help intensify the color while providing suitable conditioning properties to your skin.
- The hair color gel is enriched with organic plant extracts that are certified.
- The herbal ingredients protect and nourish your hair.
- Around 36 shades are available.
- These shades can be blended to create your custom shade.
- Clinically tested.
- Free from ammonia, parabens, and alcohol.
- It is dermatologically tested as well.
- Recyclable packaging.
- The scent can be more pleasant.
- The formula can be watery and thin.
ONC NaturalColors Healthier Permanent Hair Color
ONC NaturalColors is all about getting the hair colors you want without compromising the health of your hair. The brand claims it uses a healthier way to open up the hair cuticles to let the color in by using the already-trapped heat released from the hair dryer. In contrast, other brands use chemicals that raise the pH levels and open the cuticles. This hair color formula has a very low pH that works gently to condition your hair.
The hair color consists of certified organic wheat protein, aloe leaf juice, grapefruit extract, comfrey leaf extract, and orange peel extract that strive to make your hair soft and silky. The grapefruit extract is said to have antibacterial and antioxidant properties that protect your scalp from harmful color-oxidizing effects. The orange peel extract has properties that reduce dandruff and help in conditioning the hair. The aloe vera present strengthens the hair while relieving itchy scalps. Wheat protein helps restructure your hair by repairing the damage by adding some proteins into your hair follicles.
- It is formulated with unique certified organic extracts that help with hair benefits.
- The hair feels shiny and soft.
- It lasts for a long time.
- Provides good coverage for gray hair.
- The ONC kit contains almost everything you might need during the coloring process, the developer, color gel, shower cap, gloves, brush, and a few others.
- Free from ammonia, parabens, and sulfates.
- The process of using a blow dryer makes it quite time-consuming and tedious.
- Some users experienced itchy scalps after using the hair color.
Naturtint Permanent Hair Color
Being in the hair color market for over 25 years, Naturtint hair color has undoubtedly grabbed many customers and their trust, and thus, it is the best hair color for dreadlocks. With a botanically inspired formula, the hair color has been dermatologically tested. The fascinating thing about it is that it is the first-ever permanent hair color certified by USDA.
It is infused and made with many plants and seed oils, so rest assured that this hair color has some natural, high-quality ingredients. The presence of oleic acid in the formula helps make your hair hold water as it controls the water loss in your dreads, making it soft and pliable. The meadowfoam seed oil also is a game changer as it is known for its emollient properties that keep your hair hydrated. It also prevents your hair from the unnecessary tangling and brittleness that break your hair and cause hair thinning.
- The formula has naturally appealing and high-quality ingredients.
- The hair color is available in 32 mixable shades.
- Oleic acid and meadowfoam seed oil help nourish and hydrate your hair.
- It is cruelty-free.
- Free from ammonia and parabens.
- Dermatologically tested.
- The new formula upset some people as they reported hair shedding and thinning.
FAQs | Best Hair Color For Thinning Hair
Should I color my hair if it is thinning?
If you suffer from hair loss or hair thinning, it is best not to put your hair under more stress by coloring it. Visible signs of hair thinning, like breakage, should make you aware that your hair is not doing well.
Which hair is color type best for thin hair?
Semi-permanent hair colors are a good option if you want to color your thin hair. This is because they do not contain ammonia, are usually gentle, and do not cause much damage.
Which hair color is the best for thinning hair?
Choosing hair colors or shades that match or are a good contrast between your hair and scalp will make the patches less visible.
Taking care of your hair should be an essential task in your life. This should be given more importance when you suffer from thinning hair or hair breakage because, in that scenario, your hair needs more care. But what about you coloring your thin hair? That is equal to putting them under a lot of stress.
But with good hair colors that are ammonia-free and work with natural ingredients, you can still protect your hair from further damage and stay with the latest trends in hair coloring. So with our handpicked choices of the best hair colors for thinning hair, make your choice and go for it!
Rebecca is a skilled writer with a passion for makeup and skincare. With years of experience in the beauty industry, she has a deep understanding of the latest trends and products and a talent for creating engaging content that resonates with her readers. Whether she’s writing about the latest skincare products or sharing her favorite makeup tips, Rebecca’s writing is always informative, entertaining, and inspiring.